Thursday, May 31, 2007

My fingers have a mind of their own...

It's been awhile since I posted here. I've been busy, but I'm not sure at what. I've been reading other blogs and doing some thinking lately. And that takes some time anymore.

What I've been noticing is that so many crafters out there do those cute little stuffed animals that look like - well, no animal I've ever seen. And lots of fun totes that are just so simple! I look at the bags I make and wonder why I put so much effort into each one, when everyone else just whips them up and bingo they're done. I think I'm on the wrong track! Even the hand embroidery I do, I spend so much time - why do I do these things? I'm driven to it, is all I can figure out. Something within me will not let me stop, even if I wanted to stop. So, I sew, crochet, embroidery and anything else I can do that is creative. And I don't even consider myself really a creative person in the end. The young people out there these days are so talented, it makes me envious.

Why didn't I start all these fun things years and years ago? I was so busy with life - kids, business, etc. - I didn't stop to do the things that were boiling inside me to get free. So, if there is anything I could say to my grown kids and anyone out there it is this - JUST DO IT! Time will not stand still, the kids will not go hungry and the business will continue without you there every minute! I wish someone had said that to me about 30 years ago! All those things I was going to do someday have not been done yet and someday is HERE! So, at 60 I will do those things I've longed to do - crochet afghans all day, sew, hand embroidery little onesies and tshirts and blankets, read a book for hours on end sitting in the back yard while the birds sing. What fun is that to do what you love while there is still time!

Wow! Where did all that come from? My fingers just ran away from me. And while I'm at it, why can't they print those wonderful Japanese craft books in English? I know they know the language, because I see some of the words are not in Japanese. They could make a killing here in the USA if they would just translate their books! And I don't think I'll be able to learn Japanese in time to do the things in the books. Those Japanese are some crafty people, is all I can say! I'll just buy them anyway and follow their wonderful diagrams. Hey! Maybe they know what they're doing after all.

Well, the Annual Elvis Festival has begun here in Tupelo, MS. I would like to go tomorrow night because Taylor Hicks is the headliner at the nightly concert. But I will probably stay home and visit with my son and grandson, who will be staying the night with us. The Festival is a big draw here as Elvis was born here in Tupelo (if anyone doesn't know that by now). We get all kind of interesting people here who come just to see Elvis's first boyhood home.

I believe I'll get off of here and go to the living room and embroidery for awhile. I'm working on some blankets/quilts for babies using vintage embroidery transfers. I think they will turn out just fine.

No comments: