Sunday, May 9, 2010

Heaven Is a Cleaner Place with Mama There

Mother's Day again. My 5th year without my mother. So I just wanted to write a tribute to her here, maybe she'll read it from far away in heaven.

My mother didn't play sports, didn't wear jeans, didn't plant flowers or dig in the dirt. My mother did clean house like a professional, made fabulous meals for all of us everyday, was always there when we got home from school, did laundry like nobody's business. She never drove a car, though she tried to once and swore she would never do it again. She didn't.

What I remember about Mama is that she was a meticulous housekeeper. I don't remember EVER seeing any dust, dirt or clutter in our house. Everything was always in place, folded and put away, dusted, polished and mopped. When I was very young she worked at Woolworth's in the office. Daddy would take us down there and I remember running down that old wooden floor to my mama's arms. Woolworth's was my favorite place to go, anyway. When we started school (my brother and I) for the first weeks mama would walk us to school so we would be safe, and meet us after school and walk us home. And when we got home we always had a snack waiting for us. Later, when we were older, mama always made homemade gingerbread and hot tea for my girlfriend and me after school.

Mama was funny without knowing it. She used to tell me that she knew if she could just pull the water hose into the house she could wash down the walls and the house would be so much cleaner! I would laugh when she said that, what a joke. One day I visited and, you guessed it, there was the waterhose snaked in through the dining room window, through the hall, into the bathroom, and mama washing and scrubbing the walls. She also did the dining room walls. Unfortunately, there was carpet in the dining room and it was extremely wet. Her friend said put baking soda around the edges, it will soak up the water. The baking soda did soak up the water, but hardened by the next day. Mama had vinyl flooring put in that week.

She worried about dirt and things like that, wanted the best and cleanest for us. She felt she wasn't getting the turnip greens washed enough. Bright idea, put them in the dishwasher and they will be so clean. Note to self: don't forget what happens when very hot water mixes with turnip greens. Well, that didn't work so well.


So, I just want to say "Happy Mother's Day" mama. I know you're walking with daddy right now and sweeping those streets of gold. Heaven is much cleaner with you in it. Love you, mama.

10 comments:

alicia said...

Love the pics and the tribute. Happy Mother's Day.

Alicia @ a beautiful mess.

Lynnie said...

Thank you, Alicia. It's nice to receive comments and compliments.

Lizzie said...

What a beautiful post. I miss Woolworths. :)
Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!

The Black Kitteh said...

What a fantastic post! Loved it!

JaelCustomDesigns said...

That was touching! I love you creations, the personalized outfits for babies are adorable!

Popping in from SITS! Happy SITS Saturday sharefest!

Susie said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom!!

I am from the Welcome Wagon at SITs! I hope you are enjoying the party:-)

Shmonae said...

Lynn, I was wondering if I can add this tribute to a section on my site. I think it would be beautiful! I posted yours today and plan on linking to it from my site tomorrow.
Thanks!

Save the Date for Cupcakes said...

Love the post and photos! I love antiques too! Stopping by from SITS;o)

~Tanya

Mike said...

There is a great application Digeus I always use it when there are problems with windows. I also recommend Windows Tune Up Suite. It prevents BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), restores your system to healtry state.

Mike said...

There is a great application Digeus I always use it when there are problems with windows. I also recommend Windows Tune Up Suite. It prevents BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), restores your system to healtry state.