Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A New Year, A New Me

Well, I don't know how new I'm going to be, but I'm going to try to do some things differently. Like, I procrastinate a lot. I'm going to try to NOT do that so much. I'll start tomorrow. I would like to be a better person, a better resident of the earth, a better parent to my adult children. I really would like to be remembered someday as a pretty good grandparent, one who cared and shared.

These are not really hard things to do, but still it's time for me to do it. I've wanted for such a long time to do something for others, and I realize my time on earth is getting shorter with each passing day. I believe I know what I'll do, but I'll keep it to myself. I think the best things we do for others should not be announced like it's some great accomplishment. What we do for others should be done because, well, because it's just the right thing to do.

It snowed in Mississippi in January this year. I can not remember the last time it snowed like that. The world is changing and so are we all. Let's all change for the better. If each person just spoke one kind word a day to some other person, just think how many kind words would be spoken across this planet. Kind words are like treasures, they are to be cherished and shared.

I lost a lot of important people last year. It wasn't my favorite year, but not my worst. My brother was killed in March, I lost two aunts, one uncle. I lost a neighbor of 20 years, such a fine man. I lost a childhood friend in April. I suppose it's a sign for me - I'm getting older, and so are all the people I know. If we live long enough, we get older, it's just the way it is, no way around it.

My son, who I've spoken of in previous posts, now is in a long-term care living facility. He left one week ago today. Now, that was hard for this entire family. But I had to put my selfish side away and do what was best for him. Now, he is playing cards, dominoes, bingo. I'm proud of my son, and I wish he was the son I used to have. He's not, and I've accepted it. Doesn't mean I like it, and I wish this path that was chosen for me was different. I can not change that, so I will keep on the path and do the best I can.

Life is not always easy, but if we keep fighting the good fight, in the end, we will win. I will win, with God leading me down this path. Do I question why my son? Yes, I do. But, then, why anyone's son or daughter? We were given free will long ago, and because of that, bad things happen to good people. We do not always choose our path, sometimes it is chosen for us, and if that happens, we must remain on the path and steadfast, though the path gets rough and bumpy. At those times, God carries me.

No comments: